Have you ever wondered why your grandparents and parent’s hair was better than yours? The secret lies in simple haircare practices of Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a 5000 years old traditional Indian medicine that has an elaborate variety of solutions for a perfectly healthy hair.
Ayurveda believes that each individual is unique and has a unique body type. Therefore Ayurveda divides the body types according to the 3 dosha or physiological factors, vata, pitta and kapha. Accordingly, the hair is also divided in 3 main types – vata dominant, pitta dominant and kapha dominant.
Vata type hair are generally dry, thin, have a tendency to be scarce. Vata dominant people have the tendency towards baldness. Vata hair become frizzy very fast, they are more prone to split ends, dandruff and hairfall. Therefore the care of vata hair is more required than other types of hair.
Pitta type hair are generally healthy. However, they have a strong tendency towards whitening. They might be prone to scalp itching, swelling etc. They have a moderate tendency of hairfall, dandruff and other hair disorders if not take care of.
Kapha type hair are the healthiest. They are soft, shiney, supple and can grow very long without facing problems like split ends, dandruff etc. They are least prone to hairfall and other hair problems. If taken good care of, they can grow to be very beautiful and stay beautiful for a long time.
These are the natural characteristics of the hair according to their prakrati or the body type. However, these factors are liable to change as the environment around the us changes.
Therefore because of the recent drastic changes in our environment, the hair also are prone to untimely hairfall, whitening and other problems. These factors include pollution, climate change, excessive use of chemicals on the hair, stress, anxiety, irregular and unhealthy food and lifestyle habits. All these factors adversely affects the hair. Because of all these factors, even a Kapha prakrati person might face heavy hairfall even when young. Whereas , even a vata dominant person can have very good hair if all these harmful factors are absent or controlled.
Immediately changing the environment or controlling the pollution is not in our hands. But taking good care to nullify the adverse effects of all these factors is definitely in our hands.
So, let’s check out some ways to keep our hair healthy in a natural and cost economic way –
- In Ayurveda, everything starts with the mind, therefore the cheapest and the most effective method of keeping the hair healthy and glowing is to stay stress-free. If you have a lot of stress or if you face frequent bouts of anxiety, no matter what amount of nutrition you consume and no matter what amount of expensive products you use for your hair, it will produce no effect. Stress is the single most critical factor that should be controlled to prevent permanent damage to scalp and hair.
- In order to control and prevent stress, meditation is a very effective technique. Even 5 min of daily morning meditation can keep you stress-free.
- Mindfulness technique is a method that can show an immediate improvement in your stress levels, like in one second you will be stress-free. It is a must try technique.
- Breathing exercises have duel benefits of preventing the stress as well as reversing its evil effects on the mind and the body. Pranayam helps the body to relax and promotes constructive physiology that lead to hair repair and growth.
- Food is the next most important factor for healthy hair. One should avoid junk food, acidic food, aerated drinks, packaged, canned or preserved food. All these foods are extremely dangerous not only for the hair but also for the entire body. These food products vitiate the vata dosha, which is the instrumental force for early hairfall. It is an old saying that “what we eat, we become”, so if we eat junk, we will become junk and so will our hair.
- One should have more of green veggies, fruits, freshly cooked food and lots of water every day for healthy hair.
- Random lifestyle, irregular meal habits, irregular sleep or insomnia, sedentary lifestyle, all of these lead to all kinds of hair problems.
The above stated factors, if controlled, can lead to shiny and healthy hair at no cost.
Here are some of the herbal hair remedies that will help you to prevent the frequent use of chemicals on your hair.
- Prevention comes first. The first thing is to avoid eating oily stuff. The excess oil in your body gets excreted throught the skin. Excessive oil secretion through the scalp skin might lead to oily hair. This will lead you to wash your hair more frequently with the chemical based hair wash. Daily washing of hair leads to dryness and excessive hairfall.
- Try washing your hair with soapnut. It is a natural soapy hairwash cum conditioner, that protects the hair from harmful effects of the chemical based hairwash.
- Try natural alternatives for conditioners like white vinegar, coffee extract, aloe vera gel, rice water etc. They all produce excellent effect as conditioners.
- Avoid use of dryer on your hair. Dryer affects the natural secretion of the glands in the scalp skin and leads to rapid hairfall when used frequently.
- If you have long hair, the best way to prevent hairfall is to keep them tied, esp at night. Lose hair become frizzy and face more resistance from wind. Their roots tend to become weak and lead to early hairfall.
- Oil your hair at night at least twice a week. Regular oiling keep the scalp skin supple and prevent hair fall as well as early whitening of the hair. You can wash off oil early morning using soapnut or shikakai.
- Regular scalp massage and herbal head spa have incredible effects for the hair. They can help prevent almost all kinds of hair problems. Besides, they also help to increase memory, prevent early neurodegeneration, protect the scalp and enhance the sensory powers of the eyes, ears, nose and tongue.
The nature provides best solutions for the hair. Let us follow the nature and preserve our birth right of beautiful hair.